Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez has been been called up by Mexico to participate in an International friendly versus Bosnia in Atlanta (Photo by David Cannon/Getty Images)
Eight Manchester United players have been called upon by their countries to participate in mid-week International friendlies. Here they are:
* Jonny Evans (Northern Ireland) - vs Scotland in Belfast (see update below)
* Darren Fletcher (Scotland) - vs Northern Ireland in Belfast
* Nani (Portugal) - vs Argentina in Geneva
* Rafael (Brazil) - vs France in Paris
* Anderson (Brazil) - vs France in Paris
* Nemanja Vidic (Serbia) - vs Israel in Tel Aviv (see update below)
* Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez (Mexico) - vs Bosnia in Atlanta
* Wayne Rooney (England) - vs Denmark in Copenhagen
Three Lions' skipper, Rio Ferdinand, will miss the match in Denmark due to a calf injury that he suffered in warm-ups at Molineux on Saturday. His likely deputy for the upcoming Manchester derby, Chris Smalling, has been called back from the England U-21s for a friendly versus Italy and he will no longer be playing. France's skipper in the past World Cup in South Africa, Patrice Evra, was not called up. The Frenchman has already served a five-match ban that was imposed so this likely is still a fall-out from the players walking out on then manager Raymond Domenech in training (good for United though!). Edwin van der Sar, Park Ji-Sung, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, and Dimitar Berbatov have all retired from international football, and each should be fully rested for the derby.
*Update*: Quite predictably, a few United players will sit out during the mid-week International matches. Vidic will not be involved in Serbia's match versus Israel; Evans will not take part in Northern Ireland's friendly versus Scotland due to a "sore ankle"; Smalling withdrew from the England U-21 today vs Italy with a supposed "knock."
*Update #2* John O'Shea and Darron Gibson will be suiting up for Ireland versus Wales