LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 01: Ryan Giggs of Manchester United made his 606th league appearance for club, tying Sir Bobby Charlton, during the Barclays Premier League match between Chelsea and Manchester United at Stamford Bridge on March 1, 2011 in London, England. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)
An unfortunate occurrence from yesterday's defeat to Chelsea FC is that Ryan Giggs' club record equaling 606th league appearance for Manchester United did not receive the attention it deserved. Today marks 20 years as a first team player for the Welshman at United. Cliches and accolades get thrown around much too easily, but teammate John O'Shea's simple assessment of the United great is spot on, "he is an absolute legend." Here is United related news and some links that will hopefully get you caught up on the club's general happenings in the aftermath of yesterday's loss at Stamford Bridge.
I'll start it off with that goal... Giggs' slalom run through the Arsenal defense in the FA Cup semi-final replay in 1999.
Ryan Giggs v Arsenal (FA Cup Semi-Final Replay 1999) (via pledjuraa)
More on Giggs, aftermath of yesterday's match, Manuel Neuer transfer rumor, and United's pre-season tour news after the jump...
* A 20-year timeline and photos of Giggs from the Manchester Evening News
* O'Shea pays tribute to Giggs in this piece from the Manchester Evening News
* In case you missed them, here are some quotes from Sir Alex Ferguson and his scathing remarks about Martin Atkinson .... courtesy of the Manchester Evening News
* Per ESPN Soccernet, Schalke chairman Clemens Tonnies has confirmed rumors that Manchester United are interested in goalkeeper Manuel Neuer to replace Edwin van der Sar, who is to retire at season's end. Neuer is my #1 choice to succeed the Dutchman. I hope Fergie brings in the German international.
* Dale Johnson of ESPN Soccernet says Arsenal gained the most by Chelsea's victory over United.
* EPL Talk report that United have finalized their U.S. summer tour plans. Seattle Sounders on July 20 or 21 at Qwest Field in Seattle, Chicago Fire at an undetermined Chicago venue on July 23, MLS All-Start game again on July 27 at Red Bull Arena in New Jersey, and Barcelona on July 30 in Washington D.C.
* Paul Hayward of the Guardian says United is up for a stretch-run fight.
* Per the Guardian, Wes Brown will start at Anfield versus Liverpool alongside Chris Smalling. Nemanja Vidic will miss the match due to a red card yesterday versus Chelsea and Rio Ferdinand is still unavailable due to a calf injury.
* Per the Guardian again, Michael Carrick also says refereeing played a part in yesterday's battle at Stamford Bridge.
* A friend sent me this link on Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez... a really cool story on the young lad. He seems to be a great kid.