Statistics and post-match quotes from Sir Alex Ferguson, Darren Fletcher, Anders Lindegaard, and Fatih Terim.
The Busby Babe
Shots (on target)
|19 (7)||9 (3)|
Total Passes Completed
MUFC PLAYER STATISTICS
* Anders Lindegaard (goalkeeper): 7/14 passing (50%), 1 goal conceded, 6 saves
* Michael Carrick (right-center-back): 53/55 passing (96%), 0 chances created, 8/9 long balls, 2 tackles, 3 interceptions, 10 clearances (6 effective), 1 shot blocked, 0 fouls
* Phil Jones (left-center-back): 39/48 passing (81%), 1 chances created, 4/6 long balls, 0 tackles, 1 interceptions, 11 clearances (3 effective), 5 shots blocked, 0 fouls
* Rafael (right-back): 40/48 passing (83%), 0 chances created, 0/1 crosses, 2/3 long balls, 1 successful dribble, 1 tackle, 1 interception, 3 clearances (2 effective), 1 shot blocked, 2 fouls
* Alexander Buttner (left-back): 42/46 passing (91%), 1 chance created, 0/3 crosses, 3/3 long balls, 2 successful dribbles, 3 tackles, 1 interception, 1 shot blocked, 2 fouls
* Darren Fletcher (holding-midfielder): 76/83 passing (92%), 0 chances created, 0/0 crosses, 6/10 long balls, 0 successful dribbles, 1 tackle, 0 interceptions, 0 shots
* Anderson (central-midfielder | substituted off 74'): 42/53 passing (79%), 0 chances created, 0/7 crosses, 2/5 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 1 successful dribble, 5 tackles, 2 interceptions, 3 shots (1 on target)
* Tom Cleverley (central-midfielder): 62/67 passing (93%), 2 chances created, 2/3 crosses, 4/4 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 0 successful dribbles, 0 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 shot (1 on target)
* Nick Powell (central-attacking-midfielder | substituted off 74'): 25/31 passing (81%), 0 chances created, 0/1 crosses, 1/1 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 0 successful dribbles, 1 foul won, 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 3 shots (0 on target)
* Danny Welbeck (striker | substituted off 85'): 18/26 passing (69%), 2 chances created, 0/1 crosses, 0/1 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 2 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 0 shots
* Javier Hernandez (striker): 17/22 passing (77%), 1 chance created, 0/2 crosses, 1/1 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 2 successful dribbles, 3 fouls won, 2 shots (1 on target)
* Ashley Young (left-winger | substituted on 74'): 5/5 passing (100%), 0 chances created, 0/1 crosses, 0/0 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 0 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 shots
* Federico Macheda (striker/right-winger | substituted on 74'): 2/3 passing (67%), 0 chances created, 0/1 crosses, 0/0 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 0 successful dribbles, 1 foul won, 0 shots
* Joshua King (striker | substituted on 85'): 2/2 passing (100%), 0 chances created, 0/1 crosses, 0/0 long balls, 0/0 through balls, 0 successful dribbles, 0 fouls won, 0 shots
Sir Alex Ferguson | MUFC manager (courtesy of ManUtd.com)
(Overall thoughts...) "I think they handled the atmosphere and the temperament was good. They handled that okay. Parts of the game were good but the area in which we were worried about - set-pieces - we suffered. That was always going to be a worry for us. Other than that, I was satisfied and it was a decent performance. We had some good attacking play in the first half and at that point the only trouble they gave us was from outside the box. It was a very competitive, good game."
(On the rash challenges from Galatasaray...) "I think they were lucky to keep two men on the pitch in the first 10 minutes. They were two shocking challenges. But, as we often see, so early in the match, you get away with that."
(On the stoppage time at the end of the match...) "I thought we should have had much more than three minutes. Players had been lying down for long periods, which is understandable, but it's up to the referee to control that. I thought there should be more than three minutes added on."
Darren Fletcher | MUFC midfielder (courtesy of Sky Sports)
(Overall thoughts...) "All the young players who played tonight did fantastic, and playing in an atmpsphere like this will only stand them in good stead for the future. In difficult conditions - the pitch wasn't great and it was an intimidating atmosphere - I thought we did extremely well, especially in the first half. As soon as they got the game they slowed the game right down with a lot of tactical fouls, got behind the ball and made it difficult. But we really should have got a goal in the first half and we had great opportunities when we broke on the counter-attack."
(On the vociferous Turk Telekom Arena...) "Simple shouts like 'man on' and 'turn' were proving difficult to hear, but you've got to experience that, you've got to deal with that. The biggest problem was the pitch, which wasn't good at all. It was difficult to play one-twos and quick passing because the ball was bobbling up, but I thought especially in the first half we did enough."
Anders Lindegaard | MUFC goalkeeper (courtesy of MUTV)
(On his disappointment...) "We've lost two games in a row. I played two games in a row and we've lost two games in a row. It's very hard to find smiles about anything or a positive side. We have an important game on Saturday against QPR and need to get back on track."
(On the crowd noise...) "It was quite a special atmosphere to play in. Very hectic, very noisy and loud. You can't really communicate on the field by yelling and talking. You need to be more visual. At times, obviously it was very difficult for me. It's a way of keeping me on my toes and keeping myself in the game communicating, even though they can't hear me! So I was being more visual and showing where I wanted the ball and what kind of pass I was giving - whether they should turn on it or play it back."
(On the return of Phil Jones...) ""I think Phil [Jones] did well. He showed he's on the way back and he's an important player for us. He's going to be very important in the next couple of months when we have plenty of games coming up."
Fatih Terim | Galatasaray manager (courtesy of UEFA.com)
(On the result...) "It was important to beat Manchester United, regardless of whether they had a senior or reserve team out. The best scenario for us was to win. Cluj also won against Braga and we both have seven points. We are guaranteed to [at least] finish third and I now hope we can clinch qualification from the group."
(On his side's performance...) "The guys played fantastic. They played with sacrifice and were able to meet expectations with their fighting spirit. I congratulate them from the heart. If they hadn't played like this, it wouldn't have been possible to defeat Manchester United."
(Overall thoughts...) "It was an entertaining match played at a high tempo. There are no guarantees in football, but I hope we can show the same spirit against Braga. With Braga certain to finish last in the group, they will be relaxed about facing us. Defending is easier than attacking, but we'll play for a win. Manchester United will be favourites against Cluj, but anything can happen in football. Our ears will be on that game while fighting for a win [in ours]."