Look how thrilled Wazza and Jonny are to be nominated!
We hope to make this a regular feature on TBB as we've only voted on Manchester United's 'Player of the Month' for August (Ashley Young) and February (David de Gea). Well, we're on top it for March and we hope to be for April and May as well. The month of March was a tale of two competitions for the Red Devils. Sir Alex Ferguson's side had a 100% record during their four league matches but they were completely overrun by La Liga side Athletic Bilbao over a two-legged Europa League tie. Here are the nominees for TBB's Player of the Month for March (in alphabetical order):
* David de Gea: The young Spaniard has carried over his superb form from the previous month. He started each of United's 6 matches in the month and he conceded 6 goals total during that span -- 5 to Athletic in the Europa League tie. However, he was fantastic against the La Liga side and if anything, he saved his side from further embarrassment. de Gea was also stellar versus Tottenham Hotspur during United's 3-1 away victory at the month's beginning. The 21-year-old has provided it all: shot-stopping, commanding of his box, and tidy distribution.
* Jonny Evans: The Northern Irishman is a player that has taken a lot of stick during his time at the club, however, he's undoubtedly been United's standout defender this season. March may have been the peak of his form at any point in his career. He's started all six of United's matches this month and his surprising goal and assist during this time perhaps symbolizes his willingness to step out from the back. His defending (positioning, tackling, and aerial ability) has been solid but his distribution has been important as well in helping United ignite attacks from the back. Fergie hasn't been able to stop singing the praises of his center-back as of late.
* Rio Ferdinand: It's probably not a coincidence that Evans being in the form of his life right now is occurring during a stretch when the 33-year-old Ferdinand has remained relatively healthy. The United veteran started in five matches this month and he too has been in fine form during this time. He's been a steady presence in the back as he's been the covering defender for when Patrice Evra gets caught out or for when Evans steps out of the back. His reading of the game is superb as is his understanding with Evans. It appears that United is getting ready to offer Ferdinand a contract extension.
* Wayne Rooney: Perhaps what makes Wazza a true talisman is that when his touch is off or when he's seemingly not in his typical world-class form, he still finds a way to yield his influence with his industry and/or by bagging a goal when it's least expected. There's been a few matches this month where his touch hasn't been sharp but he's still managed to create chances and to provide arrowing long-diagonal-balls out to flanks for the wingers. He's also, of course, managed to net 7 goals and offer an assist during United's six encounters in March.
* Ashley Young: It was a dream start to the England international's United career as he was in incredible form at the season's beginning. However, injuries continually struck the winger and he's only began to find his sharp form again during this past month or so. Young started March brightly when he bagged a brace and also contributed an assist during United's 3-1 away victory versus Spurs. He also provided a standout performance in the 2-0 defeat of West Bromwich Albion and he was solid again during United's 1-0 defeat of Fulham during the past weekend. With Antonio Valencia in fine form on the right-flank for the run-in, hopefully Young can provide similar influence on the left-flank as the Red Devils purse title number 20.
MUFC's Player of the Month for March?
David de Gea (121 votes)
Jonny Evans (144 votes)
Rio Ferdinand (3 votes)
Wayne Rooney (70 votes)
Ashley Young (13 votes)
Other (please share who and why in the comments section) (35 votes)
386 total votes